Friday 19 February 2016

Statement discussing why I want to study Architecture at MSA

Statement 

Why I want to study Architecture at MSA:
Studying Architecture at MSA would mean being part of a group of fellow students and lecturers likewise aiming to discuss and develop innovative ideas among the field of Architecture. I also find that being part of both departments at MSA would enable me to gain a better understanding of areas of study. Additionally, the University of Manchester being part of the Russell Group shows how excellent the university and course are. Manchester is also an architecturally unique city with examples of styles ranging from Medieval to Neo-Classic to Modernism. This would really make Manchester the perfect location to study Architecture for me.

Favourite Architect or Building:
Without any doubt my favourite architect is Miklos Ybl, known for his works in the Romanesque and Romantic styles. The elements of his work that amaze me the most are the grandeur, elegance, the symmetry and the character of the buildings. He has design numerous palaces, castles and the most well-known neo-Renaissance Hungarian State Opera House. What I really like about The State Opera House is the rich decoration including marble columns, staircases, painted ceilings, sculptures of the greatest musicians. 

Review of Recently visited building or exhibition:
One of the most outstanding buildings I have recently visited is the Atomium in Brussels, Belgium. The structure was built in a modernist style with emphasis of atomic science for Expo 58. The fact that the building is structured similarly to an iron crystal magnified 165 billion times and that interior structural elements are exposed makes it a special structure for me being fascinated by the physical sciences. At the top sphere you can see a particularly beautiful panorama of Brussels. Overall, these factors not only influence me with my current studies but make Atomium be on top of CNN’s ‘Europe's most bizarre buildings’ list.

A work of architecture I would like to experience in person:         
I would like to experience a building that combines Byzantine, Muscovite and Renaissance elements, St Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow. Being a fine example of Muscovite architecture the structure is made of eight side churches around a central each constructed of red bricks on stone base. The meticulous decoration and the extensive use of brick work for both structural and aesthetic purposes combined with the over decorated, colourful interior made up of Orthodox symbols and fine carvings and sculptures makes the structure astonishing.  



No comments:

Post a Comment